Judge of the Circuit Court
Occupation: Chief Deputy District Attorney, Polk County
Occupational Background: Prosecutor; appellate and administrative lawyer; attorney in private practice.
Educational Background: UC Davis, BA Economics, History; JD Willamette University
Prior Governmental Experience: Senior Assistant Attorney General; Assistant Salem City Attorney; Workers’ Compensation Board Staff Attorney; Polk County Deputy DA; State Public Defender; Chairman 12th Judicial District Juvenile Services Advisory Commission; 2004 Circuit Court Judge Pro Tem
“The depth, breadth, and balance of Sally Avera’s legal and administrative experience make her by far the best qualified to serve as Polk County’s next Circuit Court Judge.”
William M. Horner, Presiding Judge, Polk County Circuit Court
Statesman Journal, 8/20/10
* Dedicated Oregon lawyer for 32 years.
* Endorsed by both sitting Polk County Circuit Judges, William M. Horner and former spouse Fred Avera.
* While partner in a Dallas firm, Sally gained divorce/custody, property, business, juvenile, adoption, guardianship, probate, and criminal defense experience.
* Prosecuted 1000+ criminal cases as Chief Deputy DA, Deputy DA, and Assistant City Attorney.
* After a nationwide search, Sally was appointed Oregon’s State Public Defender, supervising 20 attorneys while maintaining an active caseload. A responsible administrator, her agency returned budgeted funds each biennium. She presented 500+ cases to Oregon’s Court of Appeals/Supreme Court.
* As Sr. Assistant Attorney General, Sally represented the state on appeal - the only candidate with homicide litigation experience, from both sides.
“I have known and worked with Sally Avera for 30 years. She has the legal experience, commitment to public service, judgment and integrity to be an outstanding judge for Polk County.”
Lane Shetterly, Statesman Journal 8/20/10
“It is unusual for law enforcement associations to endorse any candidate for judicial office. In this instance, our association is pleased to break with tradition and offer our full support to Sally Avera for Circuit Court Judge.”
Jeff Huey, Dallas Police Employees Association,
Statesman Journal 8/20/10
UNEQUALED EXPERIENCE -www.averaforjudge.com
(This information furnished by Committee to Elect Sally Avera.)