Occupation: Oregon State Senate President; Assistant to the President, Western Oregon University.
Occupational Background: Attorney, Private Practice; Hearings Officer, Employment Relations Board; Legal Aid Attorney; Law Clerk, Oregon Court of Appeals.
Educational Background: Bachelors and Masters in Public Administration, University of Rhode Island; Law Degree, Boston University.
Prior Governmental Experience: State Senator; State Representative; Salem City Council; Salem Mass Transit Board.
Community Involvement: Board Member, YMCA; Member, Oregon State Bar; former member, Salem United Soccer, Mid-Valley Children's Guild, Red Cross, United Way, former Boys and Girls Club and CYO Coach.
Personal: Married to Margie Brenden Courtney. They have three sons: Peter, Sean, and Adam, and a dog, Yoda.
Nobody Works Harder or Delivers More for Oregonians!
Peter led the successful fight to:
- Require sex offenders to register and require that neighbors be notified when they move into our communities.
- Protect children by requiring background checks for sex offenses for those applying for jobs supervising children.
- Create Amber Alert system to help find abducted and missing children quickly.
- Secure life flight services for critically ill or injured children.
- Create a discount prescription drug program to help seniors with skyrocketing drug costs.
- Crackdown on elder abuse, increase penalties for offenders and prevent abusers from inheriting property from their victims.
- Guarantee health insurance coverage for mental health treatment, prostate exams and clinical breast exams.
- Protect health care and other benefits of our national guard serving abroad.
- Improve earthquake preparedness and complete longoverdue seismic retrofitting of schools and hospitals.
Peter will continue to fight for:
- Stable and adequate funding for our schools.
- Affordable health care for everyone.
- Reduced cost of prescription drugs.
- Safer communities for our families.
- A commitment to emergency preparedness to ensure Oregon is ready to respond to acts of terrorism and natural disasters.
RE-ELECT SENATOR PETER COURTNEY
Nobody Works Harder, Nobody Delivers More for Your Oregon!
(This information furnished by Peter Courtney for State Senate.)