The People of Oregon hereby amend Article XV of the Oregon Constitution by adding the following Section to be inserted after existing Sections 4, 4a, 4b, 4c, and 4d:
(1) Effective July 1, 2009, 15% of the net proceeds from the State Lottery shall be deposited in a public safety fund created by the Legislative Assembly. The moneys in the public safety fund shall be distributed for the following purposes: 20% for grants to counties to fund early childhood programs for children who are at risk; 50% to fund the criminal investigation and forensics operations (including crime lab) of the Oregon State Police to assist law enforcement throughout the state; 15% to provide grants to countries to supplement existing county appropriations for the operations of District Attorneys; and 15% to provide grants to counties to supplement existing county appropriations for investigation and field operations of county sheriffs.
(2) The Legislative Assembly shall not limit expenditures from the public safety fund.
(3) Grants to counties shall be allocated under the following formula: 30% to be divided equally among all counties on a per-county basis (each of the existing 36 counties to receive 1/36 share of the 30%); 70% to be divided among counties on a population basis (each county to receive a grant based on its share of the state population).
(4) Funds provided to counties for District Attorneys and Sheriffs are not to be used as a substitute for any existing county funding but to add to such funds.
(5) The public safety fund allocations shall be made through the regular appropriation process of the Legislative Assembly.
(6) This Amendment is self-executing and shall be effective upon passage.