Occupation: Judge, Oregon Court of Appeals
Occupational Background: Court of Appeals Judge (2007 to present); Of counsel and partner in Preston Gates & Ellis LLP (1991 to 2007); Associate and shareholder in Harrang Long Gary Rudnick PC (1977 to 1991); Law clerk, Oregon Supreme Court (1976 to 1977); Paralegal, Sidley Austin LLP (1971 to 1973)
Educational Background: University of Oregon School of Law, JD, Honor Graduate (1976); Northwestern University, BA (1971)
Prior Governmental Experience: City attorney and advisor to several Oregon municipalities; Oregon State Bar Judicial Administration Committee; Oregon Bench and Bar Commission on Professionalism; Oregon Judicial Department Technology Committee
Community Service: Board of Directors: Oregon Law Institute, Laurel Hill Center; Elder, First Presbyterian Church of Portland
Personal: Wife, Jane VanBoskirk; four children, Meghan, Emma, Ben and Willy
Commitment to Excellence in Public Service: I have been honored by the opportunity to serve the people of our state as a Court of Appeals judge. In that service, I will continue to follow these principles:
- Work hard. Be accountable. Earn the trust and confidence of Oregonians.
- Judge cases only on the merits with no agendas. Dedicate myself to the rule of law.
- Keep an open mind, especially on cases that seem easy.
- Write clearly.
- Act ethically and enforce ethical actions by other public servants.
- Be respectful to every judge, lawyer and litigant.
- Be generous and professional with my colleagues.
(This information furnished by Timothy J Sercombe.)