Occupation: Deputy District Attorney
Occupational Background: Deputy District Attorney (2004-present); Student Intern, Lane County Public Defender's Office (08/2003-04/2004); Law Clerk for Private Attorney (01/2003-12/2003); Student Mediator, Lane County Small Claims Court (09/2002-12/2002).
Educational Background: J.D., University of Oregon School of Law (2004); B.S., Brigham Young University (2001); A.A., Ricks College (Brigham Young University-Idaho) (1999); Orem High School, Orem, Utah (1994).
Prior Governmental Experience: None
I have gained a broad range of experience working in a small district attorney's office in Curry County over the last four years. During this time I have gained the respect of my coworkers, judges, defense attorneys, and police officers for my ability in the courtroom, preparation of my cases, sense of fairness and justice in resolving cases, personal integrity and my likeable personality.
I visited Wheeler County for the first time on August 1, 2008. I found the people I visited warm and welcoming. As I traveled through the county with my family and as I stood in front of Wheeler High School overlooking Fossil, I realized Wheeler County was a place my wife, my four children, and I could call home.
As your district attorney I will stand for:
- A commitment to hard work and integrity in carrying out my responsibilities
- An office that is open to the public for feedback and suggestions
- Good judgment in filing cases to ensure justice is served
- A spirit of teamwork in working with the sheriff's office and other community and county partners
- Ensuring that victims have a voice in Wheeler County by upholding their rights and listening to their points of view before making decisions
- Balancing in a just and fair way the need to hold offenders accountable, provide treatment, and extend opportunities for reformation through alternative sentencing programs given the seriousness of the crime, the offenders history, and the desires of the victim
ELECT TRAVIS ELDER
WHEELER COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY
(This information furnished by Travis Elder.)