Occupation: State Senator; Developmental Director, Community Transitional School.
Occupational Background: Development Director; Hewlett Packard's Innovators in Education Program; Business Development, STOA Architects
Educational Background: Beaverton Schools graduate; B.A., University of Oregon
Prior Governmental Experience: State Representative; Governor's Elder Abuse Task Force; Leadership Council, SMART Reading Program; Board, Portland Habitat for Humanity; Advisory Board, U.S. Internet Council.
Schools that Prepare Children for the Future
- Ryan voted for an innovative public-private partnership to wire schools to the internet, and at no cost to taxpayers.
- Ryan created a program with Intel to provide computers and training to children with learning disabilities.
"Ryan gets it. He is leading the effort to invest in education and create
a climate for job growth. That's why Oregon's High Tech industry named him
Legislator of the Year."
-Jim B. Johnson, Business and Civic Entrepreneur, Former Intel VP
"Finally we have a Senator who shares our values, listens to us, and
-Katja Freeborn, Aloha High School Teacher
Accountability for Our Tax Dollars
- Ryan required annual audits of state funds because he believes government should have to live within its means.
- Ryan worked to ensure that out-of-state corporations pay their fair share, and wrote the bill to close tax loopholes.
- Ryan believes accountability should start with the Legislature which is why he voted to freeze his own pay.
"As a lifelong Republican, I am proud to cross party lines and support
Ryan because he builds consensus."
-Tom Hartung, Former Republican State Senator, Beaverton
Keeping our Community Safe
- Ryan sponsored Oregon's Amber Alert Program to capture child abductors which has already been 100% successful.
- Ryan voted to increase the penalties to mandatory life sentences for repeat sex offenders.
- Ryan wrote one of the toughest laws in the nation protecting seniors from fraudulent sweepstakes scams.
Public Safety Officers for Ryan Deckert:
-David G. Bishop, Beaverton Chief of Police
-Rob Gordon, Washington County Sheriff
(This information furnished by Friends of Ryan Deckert.)