Occupation: Small Business Owner
Occupational Background: Owner and property manager, Spring-Green Lawn & Tree Care; CEO, Willamette Valley Youth Shelter; Child Care Worker, Edgefield Lodge & Marion County Shelter & Evaluation Center; Labor Contractor picking strawberries and beans when kids could work.
Educational Background: Mt. Angel Preparatory; B.S., Portland State University; Masters Degree course work in Corrections, Western Oregon University
Prior Governmental Experience: None
Family: Married 40 years, 4 children, 2 grandchildren.
Serving the Salem Community for Decades
- Successfully initiated and lobbied for passage of the “Worker Bus” Law signed in 1970 by Governor Tom McCall.
- Authored the successful nomination to the National Registry of Historic Places for The Old West Salem City Hall.
- Initiated the first Special Education Grant for a special education program at North Salem High in 1977; these programs are now part of every school district in Oregon.
- Recovery services: 5 years answering a recovery hotline, 5 years taking a recovery Meeting into the Marion County Jail.
Public Safety: We must begin to address the causes of criminal behavior
We must make the culture shift from criminal to social/medical:
- 1 in 5 pre-adolescents has th e disease response to their first experiments with substance abuse.
- Seventy-five percent of our prison population is identified with substance abuse and treatment is available in 6 of 14 state institutions.
- Addiction touches every Oregon family.
- There are two dozen Oxford Houses in Salem and counting. Recovery programs are growing, we are seeing results of Head Start and similar preventive programs.
- Treatment works, recovery is possible.
Jobs in Salem
- 85 % percent of Oregon’s economy is made up of businesses which gross less than 300K per year. We must encourage these small business owners with less regulation.
- Repeal 66 & 67.
- The single best public investment we make.
PLEASE VOTE. WE MUST PARTICIPATE.
WE ARE OUR GOVERNMENT.
(This information furnished by Marvin Sannes.)