Occupation: State Representative
Occupational Background: Child Development Specialist, Portland Public Schools; Group Home Specialist, Children’s Services Division; Instructor, Portland Community College.
Educational Background: Bachelors of Psychology and Masters in Social Work, Portland State University.
Prior Governmental Experience: State Representative, 2001-Present; Mayor of Milwaukie, 1998-2001; Milwaukie City Council, 1997-98; Milwaukie Planning Commission, 1990-1997.
ACCOMPLISHED LEGISLATOR, RESPECTED LEADER
From education and public safety, to health care, consumer protection and transportation, Carolyn Tomei has a proven record of legislative success.
“Now, more than ever, we must support Oregon’s struggling economy.”
- Provide loans for businesses to help them start hiring.
- Reduce government red tape to help small businesses grow.
- Maintain and improve our transportation infrastructure – including air and rail.
- Strengthen Oregon’s Rainy Day Fund to provide fiscal stability.
“We must continue to help Oregon’s working families.”
- Invest in education — early childhood, K-12, community colleges and our universities.
- Promote living wage jobs for all Oregon’s workers.
- Improve services that protect children, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- Promote efficient use of mental health and drug treatment dollars, emphasizing prevention.
- Protect Oregon’s clean air, clean water, farms and forestlands.
“I’ve championed laws that matters to YOU.”
- Indoor Clean Air Act protects workers against secondhand smoke.
- Funding for local transportation projects — replacing the Sellwood Bridge and constructing the Southeast Portland/ Milwaukie light rail line.
- Cell phone bill bans the use of hand-held phones while driving.
- Gift card legislation gives consumers the full value of cards they buy, with no expiration dates or hidden fees.
Endorsing Carolyn Tomei:
Oregon Nurses Association
Oregon Education Association
Oregon League of Conservation Voters
Oregon State Council for Retired Citizens
Oregon State Police Officers’ Association
Amalgamated Transit Union Division 757
NARAL Pro-Choice Oregon PAC
Joint Council of Teamsters No. 37
Oregon Building Trades Council
Oregon AFSCME Council 75
Basic Rights Oregon PAC
(This information furnished by Carolyn Tomei for State Representative.)