Working Families (WFP)
Occupation: Family physician, 1975 to present; Oregon State Senator 2005 to present.
Occupational Background: Former Chief of Medicine at Rogue Valley and Providence Medford Medical Centers.
Educational Background: DO: College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri, 1977; B.A: Central Washington State University, 1969.
Prior Governmental Experience: Eagle Point School Board, 1990-2001; Governor's Committee for Excellence in Education, 1997-1999; Oregon Health Services Commission 1989-1999, chair, 1997-1999; Oregon State Representative 2001-2004.
Military Service: Vietnam: US Army 1965-1967.
2009 Legislation introduced or strongly supported by Senator Bates:
Jobs & the Economy
- Go Oregon! State Stimulus Plan: Put thousands of Oregonians back to work on delayed maintenance projects at public facilities.
- Passed Transportation Stimulus providing much-needed infrastructure improvements. (HB 2001)
- Created foreclosure assistance for Oregonians at risk of losing their homes. (SB 628)
- Covered an additional 80,000 children and 35,000 adults through Oregon Health Plan. (HB 2009 / HB 2116)
- Created the Nursing Faculty Loan Repayment Program to recruit and maintain nursing instructors in Oregon schools. (SB 701)
- Levied tax on smokeless tobacco products that are often marketed toward young children. (HB 2672)
- Made defibrillators more readily available in public places. (SB 556)
- Dam removal on the Klamath River (SB 76)
- Directed Environmental Quality Commission to adopt lowcarbon fuel standards to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. (SB 2186)
- Phased out field burning in the Willamette Valley. (SB 528)
- Improved professional development tools for teachers. (SB 443)
- Allowed U.S. veterans to pay in-state tuition at Oregon schools. (HB 2571)
- Established the School Day Restoration Fund to prevent school days from being cut. (SB 581 / 5552)
- Authorized $5.9 million for seismic retrofit of SOU's Churchill Hall, and $1.3 million for deferred maintenance projects at RCC. (SB 5505 & SB 5506)
"Alan's legislative success lies in his ability to work across the aisle, his moderate voice, and his stature with fellow legislators."
(This information furnished by Alan C. Bates.)