Occupation: State Senator; Business Manager, Hands On Medicine Primary Care in North Portland
Occupational Background: Founding Executive Director, Better People; Oregon Tradeswomen; Youth Employment Institute.
Educational Background: Masters in Social Work, Portland State University.
Prior Governmental Experience: State Senator, District 22, 2009 to present; State Representative, District 43, 2005 to 2009
Community Involvement: Foster parent; Oregon Foster Parent Association; Volunteers of America Al Forthan Scholarship; Advisory Board, Pangaea Project; Oregon Commission on Hispanic Affairs; Sitton Elementary PTA
Personal: Spouse, Shelda Holmes, FNP; one child
Sen. Chip Shields: Delivering Real Results for N/NE Portland
- Delivered on his top priority - a $6 billion K-12 budget, which was $600 million more than what the Governor's budget originally proposed.
- Prioritized an historic $1.5 million investment in pre- apprenticeship training for women and people of color.
- Prioritized and maintained funding to help domestic and sexual violence survivors.
- Supported House Bill 2700, which requires health insurance coverage for contraceptives.
- Helped people in recovery from addiction get their lives back on track through the African-American Chamber's Project Clean Slate.
Sen. Chip Shields: Fighting for Living-Wage Jobs, Health Care, Schools and Equality
- Sen. Shields is leading the fight to make health insurance companies justify premium increases.
- Supported and helped pass HB 2007 and SB 2, Oregon's domestic partnership and nondiscrimination laws.
- Took the lead in the Keep the Oregon National Guard Home campaigns with HB 2556 and HJM 9.
- Maintained $530,000 for assistance to returning veterans, including help for Oregon soldiers poisoned by the negligence of KBR at a water treatment plant in Basra.
- AFL-CIO Hero of Labor award.
- The Skanner Newspaper Drum Major for Justice award.
- Citizens Crime Commission award for outstanding public service.
- 95% life-time voting record, Oregon League of Conservation Voters.
Sen. Chip Shields: "So honest, it's hard to believe he is a legislator," said one (Salem) observer.
Willamette Week, June 13, 2007
(This information furnished by Friends of Chip Shields.)